Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Baby Product Advice #4 (Susan)

We didn't have space for more than 1 stroller, so we got a bumbleride indie and strapped the car seat (Chicco KeyFit 30) in it until he could sit up in it on his own at about 4 months. The sidewalks in our neighborhood are awful, and the travel systems just don't have good enough tires. I jog with the indie now and love it. It has a narrower profile than the BOB. Again, space is always a premium! I will say that a snap and go would have been handy to take to the mall or Target - we didn't have anything lightweight to use until he was about 4 months old and I picked up a little umbrella stroller at a consignment sale for $10. Now I keep that in the car and we use it at stores.

Ok - all the equipment is very baby specific. We bought a bouncy seat (you are welcome to borrow it) because the swings were huge. But the I ended up borrowing a swing to see if he liked it. This was in the early days, when you think that if you just find the right appliance they'll stop crying. We hardly ever used it and I gave it back at about 3 months. The bouncy seat got used every day while I was taking a shower and while we ate dinner. It was a must have. I have the Bright Starts automatic bouncer. Ah, I can still hear that music playing when I think about it! Other people's babies would sleep in the bouncer, mine never did. Mine only slept in the Baby Bjorn during the day, which would be another recommendation. I have the Air model, which is more mesh fabric. Great for spring/summer babies. I also have a Moby wrap that you're welcome to borrow. I thought I'd really get into wrapping him up and wearing him, but it was just too much fabric and I was too hot. It did soothe him well though. Takes some practice - I practiced with a baby doll.

Pack and play- we have the Chicco one. It's at my mom's now so he can nap over there. Way too cumbersome to move back and forth. I borrowed another one and it's at my MIL's house. I never had much use for it. Our house is 1 story and very small, so it was in our living room and just became a place to put laundry or somewhere to put him for a second if I had to pee. I would imagine that in a two story house it would get more use as a diaper changing spot or a nap place. Again, mine never napped in the crib until he was 3 months old.

Practice swaddling. I've got the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD if you want to borrow. Swaddling blankets can be tricky. I actually had the most success with 2 cotton waffle weave blankets - nothing fancy. I've got a Swaddle Designs kind, a miracle blanket, a Woombie. You're welcome to try any of them in those early days and see what works before buying more. Lots of people have the Velcro kind, but for some reason I never got any of those. I can also show you the double swaddling technique that finally tamed my little Houdini - Kerry taught me. She's the best. I cried when she showed me how to do it!

My guy wasn't into pacifiers. We used the green ones that you can stick your finger into - I can't remember what they're called. That phase didn't last long.

Best toy for a baby - Manhattan Toy's Whoozit. Still plays with it now. He would stare at those black and white circles forever. Also there's this Sassy "photo album" with the infant toys at Target and it's got different black and white designs on each page. Best $5 spent on a toy! I honestly dont remember him paying much attention to other toys. At about 2 months or so, he would kind of like the little gym thing. We have the Fisher Price jungle one. Again - want to borrow?

(we're packing up to put our house on the market, so I'm totally cool with loaning all this stuff out for a while!)

I just asked Dave what we used all the time, and he said earplugs. He's right. [:)]

I got an upholstered chair and ottoman that rocked, rather than a glider with a wood frame. You will log more hours than you'll care to imagine in that chair, so get the most comfortable thing you can find. I got mine at Oh Baby which is closed now, but they have good ones at Smart Momma out on 70 - great store if you haven't been there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment