Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Baby Product Advice #5 (Courtney)

We've gone through a lot of strollers. Had a travel system, but the stroller that came with it didn't work well on the sidewalks, so we got rid of it. I used the snap and go all the time - I highly recommend it. I borrowed mine.

I got a BOB when Liam was a little over a year, and we still use it now. Great for all kinds of outings, including the beach. We also have an umbrella stroller - that's what we used for the mall/stores once Liam and James were out of the snap n go.

For babyseats, it's been a while so I'm sure Baby Bargains has updates, but I used Graco infant seats and Britax convertible seats. Now back to the Graco for big boy's booster.

Pack n play - we have the Graco. It's been great. We did use it downstairs while both kids were infants and of course use it on trips.

Diaper pails ... I wouldn't bother with one. We had a diaper champ and it just always smelled bad. I switched to a trash can with a lid and that has worked much better.

Exercise ball. If you don't already have one, it's helpful for pregnancy (comfortable for sitting) and for soothing the baby (sitting on it and bouncing while holding baby).

For equipment, we used the bouncy seat with both kids. They both loved it, and we loved it too. Liam slept in it on his first few nights home. James also loved the swing. We borrowed one because it's hard to know if your baby will like it. I think Liam would have liked a swing too, but we didn't even try him on one.
We also borrowed things like the exersaucer since they use them for such a short period. I definitely recommend borrowing things!

Speaking of using things for a short period - in hindsight, I wouldn't get a high chair. Neither of my kids would use one past 12 months - they sat at little tables at daycare, so they didn't want to use them at home. You could get a booster seat (there's one for traveling that comes with a tray that we borrowed and liked), which would take up less space.

For carriers, I used the baby bjorn, the hotsling, and the ergo. I liked them all at different stages. Liam loved the hotsling and it was a godsend for the early months - I actually used it until he was 18 months, then we got the Ergo. The hotsling is very easy to use if you have a kid that needs to be held all the time. James didn't like it, but he liked the Ergo, which he calls the "mommy backpack". I didn't use the Bjorn for all that long - a few months, but it was very helpful during those months.

Swaddling is great. I highly recommend it as well. It's hard to keep up with it for a spring baby since it gets hot, but it really works. Get some of those Aden and Anais blankets. They are my absolute favorite for swaddling. James still sleeps with those blankets as lovies, so nice and soft!

Good, comfortable rocker - I have an upholstered chair and rocking ottoman that is still indispensible from Oh Baby.

Backpack diaper bag (or something that your man will be ok to carry). It's actually great to have something hands-free like a back-pack when the kids get bigger. Backpacks are not as useful when you have to carry the kids in a backpack carrier though!

Random things I found helpful - cloth diapers for burp cloths and for putting on the changing table (saves you from having to change the cover all the time), sheet savers (snaps on top of the crib sheet if you have a super soaker kid so you don't have to change sheets in the middle of the night), Eddie Bauer pack n play sheets (softer than most), the Boppy - for nursing and just arm support, quilts for the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment